Use your water assets even more wisely
Maximize the utility of your water assets for all stakeholders while increasing the efficiency of your workflows with our water scheduling software and PCI’s GenTrader®.
Sustainably and reliably supply more clean energy at a lower cost
Enjoy the benefits of a power optimization and a water-balance model in one effective software solution.
- Model and manage reservoirs, canals, penstocks, cascading hydro, and generators considering key attributes like elevation, storage function, and natural inflows
- Shape hydro generation and pumped storage based on market conditions and reliability requirements by managing storage, tailrace, and reservoir levels
- Realize significant economic benefits by replacing operator intuition with responsive data-backed models
Lower Financial Risk
- Automatically optimize operations based on the interplay of weather conditions, the demand for power and water, the price of power, the cost of fuels, and more.
- Track hydro operations and license limitations across multiple time horizons to efficiently inform operator decisions
- Collaborate with multiple business units with real-time telemetry, maintenance event tracking, demand forecasting, and trading market data.
Make Better Decisions
- Easily Monitor trends with current data at your fingertips
- Optimize your workflows with data-driven enhanced reporting capabilities
- Strategize and reduce risk by quickly performing accurate simulations based on how your system operates
Coordinate the optimization of all of your assets
Complement baseload efficiency
- Coordinated power and water production
- Optimized power production and water release
- Economically configured generating combinations
- Quick-response generation
- Environmental, recreational, and ownership rights management
- Operating and scheduling water
- Value storage
Optimize your entire portfolio, including:
Daily operational planning
Fuel burn forecasting
Asset valuation and acquisition
Power plant upgrade impacts
Hydro generation including cascaded and pumped storage
Thermal generation including combined-cycle
Market prices: power, fuel, ancillary services, emissions
Complex option and forward contracts
Fuel constraints and energy-limited options
How SMUD performs enhanced optimization of hydro resources
Watch our webinar with PCI CTO, Buck Feng and Debra Warady from SMUD to learn how Sacramento Municipal Utility District used PCI software to optimize their hydro operations.
A proven partner for navigating the sustainable energy transition
PCI is a trusted partner to energy companies around the world with a thirty-year track record of rapidly adapting to the ever-changing energy landscape and policies.
Master Increasing Complexity
- Manage more generation units, contracts, and trades with the same resources through smart automation
- Respect license and environmental requirements by including them in all planning horizons
- Successfully integrate renewable assets into your portfolio with systems and procedures built to accommodate them
- Trade and incorporate new market instruments as they’re introduced
Capture Emerging Opportunities
- Maximize the life of your battery assets with State of Charge Management
- Take advantage of the opportunity to trade new commodities like energy credits
- Reliably incorporate weather-dependent renewable assets with confidence through industry-leading forecasting
Manage New Risks
- Make better capital allocation decisions about renewable assets and batteries with more accurate load forecasts
- Track and document your environmental commitments through emissions and greenhouse gas tracking
- Mitigate increased price risks from spikes and negative prices
By the Numbers
1-3% average production cost savings
Our customers enjoy very significant benefits from optimizing their portfolios, on average saving somewhere between one and three percent of the production costs.
The importance of hydropower in providing resource adequacy in a renewable world
Listen in on a discussion between PCI and Northwest River Partners about the challenges and opportunities ahead for hydropower.